Tuesday, June 17, 2014

How To Do Things: Avocado, Egg, and Tomato Grilled Cheese

The judges of Chopped would probably not be impressed with my plating.

So, I would like to preface this with the fact that I gave myself two weeks to perfect my sandwich making skills. In two weeks, I still cannot make this sandwich... and I invented it.

Last year, my friend convinced me to work out with her so I was on a brief health kick and I wanted to come up with a great recipe that would cover most of my needed food groups (protein, dairy, bread/carbs, fruits/vegetables). Then I had a brilliant idea and immediately called my mom to tell her about my sandwich idea. Within minutes, she discovered plenty of people on the internet had come up with this perfect sandwich. My mom has even made it for me several times when I visit home. However, I had never made this sandwich on my own... until two weeks ago.

For this recipe, you will need:
  • 1 egg
  • 2 slices of bread
  • 1-2 slice(s) of cheese
  • 1 avocado
  • 1 tomato
  • Sriracha Sauce (optional)

First, I needed to learn how to make the perfect sunny-side up egg, because normally I mess them up and then they just become fried eggs. My first attempt went surprisingly well. My second attempt ended in a partially uncooked egg. So cook the egg however you want for this sandwich. No one wants to eat raw eggs (unless it is in cookie dough; yum!).

Next, put a slice of cheese on one slice of bread and toast the bread/melt the cheese on the stove (or both, but keep the bread separate and not in sandwich form, yet; if you are only using one slice of cheese, you can just toast the other in a toaster). Actually, I could never get this to work. I bought super cheap generic target cheese and it would not melt. At all. I even tried other ways the internet suggested, for example:

Source: http://www.artfido.com/blog/40-clever-life-hacks-to-simplify-your-world/

I thought, for sure, that I would end up with melted cheese stuck to my toaster. Fortunately, that did not happen. Unfortunately, the piece of toast in the top slot shot across the room and was super burnt. The cheese toast was not burnt, but the cheese still was not melted. I really think it was the "cheese" at this point. Or the fact that I don't own a toaster oven (my friends were surprised this weekend about my lack of kitchen utensils, like a blender).

Point is, somehow melt cheese onto toasted bread. If you want sriracha sauce, put it onto one or both of your slices of bread. Next, cut up your tomato into thin slices and put as many slices of tomato onto one slice of bread. Then, cut open your avocado, scoop out as much as you want, and put as much as you want on top of the tomato slices. Finally, put your other cheese toast on top and you have finished your sandwich. Eat and enjoy!

In case you need pictures/videos for the steps, I have included some from the internet because taking pictures and cooking at the same time is rather difficult.

Making a sunny-side up egg (but, you can prepare the egg any way that you want): http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Sunny-Side-up-Eggs

Slicing a tomato: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0xVthFSJBg

Pit and Cut an Avocado: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieIPSV7jRmE

If you master this recipe, please share it with me! I would love helpful tips and tricks from you.
Rachel Cathleen

No comments:

Post a Comment